What are Enterprise Environmental Factors?
Enterprise Environmental Factors are used as inputs to project activities same as Organizational Process Assets. These factors are not under the control of the project team, in spite of being influential towards project direction. This influential factor may negatively or positively impact towards the project success, hence it’s project team’s responsibility to use them under all the project processes to ensure that project is guided and followed under the respective factors accordingly.
PMBOK 5th edition has stated different factors that are used in project activities. Few of them are as follows;
- Culture, structure and the governing rules of the performing organization
- External factors such as political and marketing conditions
- Geographical situation, resources and available facilities
- Industry / government standards and policies
- Available human resources (skills, knowledge level, etc…)
- Company working structure (authorization structure)
- Stakeholder engagement (risk tolerance, culture and other behavioral patterns)
- Available communication channels and management methodologies
- Information databases (commercial, risk related, baselines, etc…)
- Personnel authority and administration (staffing plans, employee retention methods, performance appraisals and reviews)
- Project Management Information System (an automated tool to collect and share information related to projects)